THE ORIGINS OF HAMILTON CAMERA CLUB
Sometime prior to 1903 the then Headmaster of Hamilton Academy, some teachers, botanists, hill walkers and photographers formed a club known as Hamilton Field Club. In 1903 the members of this club who were interested in photography formed a new club, Hamilton Photographic Society.
For almost a century the name of the organisation remained the same but for a short period was changed to ‘Hamilton Photographic’ the Society part having been dropped to create a more up to date and punchy name. This change met with mixed responses and early in the present century was changed to Hamilton Camera Club, the present title.
The club has met in various premises over the years including Hamilton Library, premises in Townhead Street, premises in Chapel Street, Ross's Pawn in Old Edinburgh Road, The Astra Club in Almada Street, Auchingramont Church Hall, The Old Parish Church Halls and most recently Hamilton West Parish Church Hall.